The firm of Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co. had its origin in 1827 in the practice of John Ward Gleadow, one of the earliest private barristers and solicitors in Tasmania. The practice was conducted in premises in St John Street, Launceston and believed to be adjacent to the Jewish synagogue.
In 1862 John Ward Gleadow entered into partnership with William Ritchie and Robert John Parker. After the retirement of Gleadow a few years later, the firm carried on under the name Ritchie & Parker. This firm had it's office at 81 St John Street, Launceston.
In 1912 Ritchie & Parker amalgamated with another Launceston practice, Alfred Green & Co, and continued in business as Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co. at the St John Street Address until 1989 when it moved to it's preset location at 10 Cameron Street.
In the late 1920's the firm took over the business of Robert Leslie Gatenby at Campbell Town.
Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co. has always had a strong connection with the business community of Launceston and with the farming populace of Northern Tasmania. In the closing days of the 1800's and the early part of the twentieth century the Firm was closely associated with many of the mining companies which were formed as the minerals of the west coast and other parts of Tasmania were discovered.
While the Firm has historically been primarily involved in conveyancing and the management of family estates, it has always had an accountancy division to enable it to handle accountancy and income tax returns of estates and individual clients together with the management of trust moneys lent to clients and secured by first mortgage.
More recently Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co has developed its practice in litigation and family law.