The firm of Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co. had its origin in 1827 in the practice of John Ward Gleadow, one of the earliest private barristers and solicitors in Tasmania. The practice was conducted in premises in St John Street, Launceston and believed to be adjacent to the Jewish synagogue.
In 1862 John Ward Gleadow entered into partnership with William Ritchie and Robert John Parker. After the retirement of Gleadow a few years later, the firm carried on under the name Ritchie & Parker. This firm had its office at 81 St John Street, Launceston.
In 1912 Ritchie & Parker amalgamated with another Launceston practice, Alfred Green & Co, and continued in business as Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co. at the St John Street Address until 1989 when the firm moved to its present location – 10 Cameron Street, Launceston – where it continues to provide quality legal services.
In the late 1920’s the firm took over the business of Robert Leslie Gatenby at Campbell Town.
Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co. has always had a strong connection with the business community of Launceston and with the farming community of Northern Tasmania. In the closing days of the 1800’s and the early part of the twentieth century the Firm was closely associated with many of the mining companies which were formed as the minerals of the west coast and other parts of Tasmania were discovered.
The Firm has historically been primarily involved in conveyancing and the management of family estates. The firm until recently also offered accounting and taxation services and would be happy to provide clients with recommendations relating to preferred providers of accounting and taxation services should these services be required.
Ritchie & Parker Alfred Green & Co continues – in 2020 – to offer high quality services relating to commercial law, property law, wills and estates, trusts, debt collection and local government.